The PaperGeo module
PaperGeo creates digital models of paper starting from statistical properties of a flat paper sheet or a composite layer, with the fibers being mainly oriented in one plane.
Modelling parameters are the known fiber parameters and the fiber orientation distribution in the plane.
The digital model consists of a detailed 3D microstructure of the paper that reveals the micro-morphology and allows the kind of close analysis only possible from a ÁCT-scan. Additionally, new paper materials can be designed and their material properties can be computed by changing the underlying statistical model. The new design can be compared to existing products and its performance optimized.
PaperGeo creates realistic structure models of flat paper sheets and flat composite layers. Complex fiber laydown processes with deforming fibers are modelled, allowing
to create dense sheets without overlapping fibers.
It is also possible to model gradient media and the addition of binder and filler. The fibers in the paper structure can be modelled to be straight or curved, with various profile shapes (circular, elliptical, rectangular, cellulose, etc.). The in-plane orientation of fibers and the distribution of fiber parameters can be specified.
- Modelling of papers for filtration.
- Modelling of layers of unidirectional carbon fibers from composites.
- Modelling of cellulose fiber paper sheets and cellulose fiber lay-down.
- The GeoDict Base package is needed for basic functionality.
- The ExportGeo module can be used to export the modelled paper structure as 3D image (*.raw), as surface triangulation (*.stl) for CAD-programs, or as direct simulation in Fluent or Abaqus.
- Some material properties that can be computed for the resulting 3D paper models using other GeoDict modules are:
|Pore size distribution, base weight distribution||PoroDict and MatDict|
|Flow resistivity, permeability and pressure drop||FlowDict|
|Effective elastic properties||ElastoDict|
|Large deformations, plastic effects, damage and failure||ElastoDict|
|Effective Diffusivity and tortuosity||DiffuDict|
|Effective thermal and electrical conductivity||ConductoDict|
|Filter efficiency and filter life time||FilterDict-Media and FilterDict-Element|